Thursday, November 8, 2012

Impossibilities and Possibilities

No matter how hard I try, I will probably never be able to do this (my back will not bend that far)

  or this
  or this
 or this for that matter (Maybe 25 years ago, yes. But definitley not now)


or ever look like this.

BUT I know that I am able to do immesurably more than the average-average human being and that I am immensly blessed in the life I live.

What I can do, is this (plus the trumpet and the recorder)



this (tatting)


this (knitting)

 this (sewing)
and restoring my old dresser to this
and a few more (go here)

I love working with my hands and although at times I don't FEEL like it, I still enjoy it when I do. I know that my talents have been nurtured by my mother who single-handedly renovated two flats, and an entire house, who was always busy sewing and knitting and crocheting and cooking and baking and ensuring that we (my brother and I) were taught skills that were beyond what schools taught. (I know my brother can knit and crochet, weld and repair electronic equipment, do carpentry and programme a computer). It ultimately is not in the skills you posess, but in HOW you use them that matters. How serious you take those gifts and whether you try to better yourself in doing these things.

Yes, our parents matter as do our teachers, but what we do with those skills we are taught is up to us.

If God has gifted you in any way, use the gifts. Don't wait until they are perfect, but practise them, because only practise will ensure that you become good at things. The 10 000 hour rule applies in all instances - it takes 10 000 hours to become an expert in anything. The earlier you start, the better you become. Even if you never are paid for the talents you have, it is the use of them that matters, not the reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment